The OAGEE Award of Distinction is presented to an Ontario Educator who is passionate about, and exemplifies, great geographic education within the Province of Ontario.
In my short time as President of OAGEE, I have been able to personally hand this Award to several people that made me want to be a part of OAGEE and be a better Geography teacher. The 2014 OAGEE Award of Distinction was presented to Mark Lowry.
Mark had been the Toronto DSB Geography Consultant for 19 years until his retirement this past June. Mark was the only educational consultant in Ontario that was dedicated exclusively to the discipline of Geography. Here is a list of Mark’s achievements during his time as a Geography Educator in Ontario:
• Worked with the organizing committee for Learning for a Sustainable Future with York University
• Taught workshops to Faculty of Ed students particularly OISE where he has trained students in ArcGIS/GPS/Google Earth for 10 years
• Assisted Parks Canada with poster contest evaluations
• Ontario Geographic Consultants Association (OGCA) – Executive
• The Royal Canadian Geographical Society (RCGS) – College of Fellows
• Responsible for Geotechnologies Summer Institutes for teachers for over 15 years
• Spearheaded the implementation of geotechnologies in the Ontario Curriculum and worked with ESRI for provincial licences
• Produced the Geotoolkit with Gerry Bell
• Delivered numerous OAGEE workshops at Fall Conferences
• Delivered countless GPS training workshops
Mark has moved to British Columbia and is continuing his work in education with ESRI.